Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Herb 2.0


Is It Just Me ... Or do these two guys Look a LOT a like?
It was just this past weekend I was traveling through beautiful downtown Wake Forest. Trying to grab some of Shorty's Famous Hot Dogs, I was secretively mumbling under my breath my disdain for the town's annual "Herbfest" celebration.

That downtown event was keeping me from my beloved Shorty's dogs. One thing did, however, cross my mind. What if instead of "Herbfest" State fans had hosted "HERBfest?"

With the disastorous spill this coaching search has been, there can be little doubt Herb Sendek is receiving some small measure of vendication. Now, don't get me wrong. Maybe it was best for all side Herbie the Love Bug hung up the red S and head out west.

I'm not saying Herb was the greatest coach in NC State history. I am saying, however, Herb received a lot of grief he didn't deserve. He's a classy guy. He ran a clean program.

So, why not HERBfest? A little bit of love may have kept the balding, chewing gum smacking, dry witted coach here. But, alas, we chose not to have HERBfest. Instead, we're left to settle for HERB v2.0

Now that Steve Lavin has said "No Thanks" to Lee Fowler and Wendell Murphy, serious contract talks are underway with John Beilein of West Virginia. And ... he's the coach NC State fans probably least wanted.

While Beilein has won at every program he's coached, he still runs a version of the Princeton offense Sendek was oft criticized for. So, instead of Rick Barnes or Steve Lavin, you're left with HERB v2.0.

Sure, it's an improvement over the last version. But ... will it quiet the wolves howls? Only time will tell. One bit of advice: when the upgraded program doesn't work ... many people prefer to return to their previous installed version. Give it 4 or 5 years. If that doesn't work, someone needs to make a call out to Tempe, AZ.

No comments: